Two types of paper: pp. S3–14 a thicker bluish paper, similar to that of the flyleaves; pp. 15–S86 (plus title leaves and guards) white, homogeneous.
in ink by the scribe in the upper right margin from p. 4 onwards: 4–83
Q1Ip. + Q2IIIp.14 + Q3–64.IVp.78 + Q7IIp.
A guard precedes the first bifolium (i.e. the title leaves), and another guard follows after the end of the textblock, both pasted onto the closest page and used in the endleaf construction; cf. binding description.
The half title page, the title vignette at the beginning of the text, and the vignette at the end of the text are penflourished with finely drawn geometrical and flowery designs, among which the title, ΑΝΑΚΡΕΟΝΤΟΣ ΟΔΑΙ, is written. A particular ornamental motif is constituted by thin arrows that dart across the design, some more pointedly through bow-shaped object, an allusion to the amorous tone of the poetry contained in this dainty book.
Red morocco over thin cardboard, gilt tooled beaded border on covers; smooth spine with ample gilding (lines and plumes, or perhaps corn ears). Spine title reads ‘NACRE’. The current shelfmark glued on spine paper label at tail. Two coloured paper bifolia serve as endleaves at front and end: the blue ones are pasted onto a guard of white paper, whereas the pink ones are used as pastedowns and are pasted onto the blue.
The volume is in all likelyhood copied after a printed model during Carl Valdemar Enelius’s time of study in Uppsala (cf. p. 1: ‘ad optimorum exemplarium fidem scripsit’. His name is present in the membership record for ‘Östgöta nation’ in the year 1809. Born in Dalhem, Östergötland, in 1791, as the vicar’s son. After his university studies, he had for some years a career as Secretary of the Royal Majesty’s Registry and official at the Court of Appeal. Later he returned to his childhood province and engaged in husbandry. Died in 1858.
Donated to the Gymnasium Library in 1820; cf. dedication on f. SL1v. The Gymnasium Library and the Diocese Library have a mutual past and are nowadays administered by the municipal library in Linköping.